These beans will change the way you cook your beans forever. Another simple recipe from Tanzania; please use dried-beans, it is not as nice if you used canned beans.
Here is the trick of how to cook and store beans for future recipes:
Saturday night, soak 4 cups of dried red or kidney beans over night, then the next morning, boil until almost cooked. Make sure the water is at the level of the beans or above.
Once cooked, put aside to cool; then put into four freezer bags or plastic container and freeze. You can freeze up to three months. Use a bag at a time for the recipe or as needed.
1 cup dried red kidney beans (soak them overnight)
¾ cup coconut milk
¼ cup finely chopped onions
1 tbsp. crushed ginger
1 cup chopped tomatoes
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. crushed cilantro
¼ cup additional coconut milk
1 to 3 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- Put beans, salt, and water in a pot (water should be about 1 inch above the beans) and bring to a boil.
- Once the beans boil, cover the pot and simmer on medium-low heat.
- Add water as needed to maintain the level.
- When the beans are almost cooked, heat oil in a different pan, sauté onions, and stir until brown. Stir in ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, lower heat to medium-low, and cover the pot. Simmer until the tomatoes soften. Use a cooking spoon to press the tomatoes while cooking to soften them quickly.
- Add cilantro, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add coconut milk and beans. Continue to cook until soft.
- If the water cooks away before the beans are cooked, add the extra coconut milk. The liquid should be at the same level as the beans when the beans are ready to serve