This is a nice past time snack. Fried yellow split peas is an Indian influence. And this is also an ingredient in chevra (Indian: sold in many stores in Tanzania).
- Wash 1 cup of yellow split peas
- Soak in 3 cups of water for 3 hrs or over night
- Then discharge the water
- From here you have a choice to continue to step 5 if you want to boil first; or jump to step 7 if you want to deep fry without boiling first. The out come is the same but boiled tends to be much softer and you can never go wrong.
- Boil 3 cups of water with ½ tsp salt.
- Pour yellow split peas in boiling water & cook until almost cooked or 6 minutes.
- Discharge the water again put the peas aside for 10 minutes or put on paper tower for the water to be socked completely.
- Deep fry until golden brown or crunchy.
- Once you remove from the oil, sprinkle chili powder and salt immediately.