At the coast of Tanzania, rice is generally cooked with coconut milk. We have many varieties of rice, but it all depends on the creative side of the cook. What I love about Coconut rice with peas and carrots is that, it is very simple, a few ingredients, and yet it taste great.
This is one of the favored Tanzanian rice recipe.
I had this recipe on the web for the first time in 2006. Due to changes of blog domain name, I could not include all the recipes at once, but for people who have been following me, would know this is not my newest post. For those who are new, enjoy.
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 tbsp regular olive oil
- ½ cup peas (you can use frozen peas)
- ½ cup carrots (cut small, almost as pea size)
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat the oil, at medium, in a pot and add rice, peas and carrots.
- Stir until rice turns almost white from its translucent color. Add oil if needed.
- Add salt and turmeric. Stir for about 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, mix boiling water and coconut milk.
- Add 1 cup of the coconut mixture to the rice.
- Simmer at the lowest heat with the pot covered. Add the remaining coconut mixture whenever needed until the rice is cooked.