Baobab (bay-oh-bab) a very healthy fruit found in almost all countries of Africa, is just starting to gain popularity in the western world. The white part of the seed can be used as an ingredient in different kind of recipes that ask for tamarind or lime, in Tanzania, baobab is mainly used to make juice or eaten as candy if coated with sugar and color. Sometimes it is hard to differentiate baobab juice from tamarind Juice.
If you are using baobab powder (can be purchased in the internet), mix 2 tbsp of baobab powder with 1 ½ cups of water. Or follow package instructions.
- 5 cups Baobab seeds (Mabuyu)
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 cups Extra water
- In a large pot, mix baobab seeds and 10 cups of water. Boil for 30 minutes or until the white part of the seed dissolve completely in boiling water. Then put aside to cool a little bit.
- Separate the seeds and water by using a strainer.
- Add 3-4 cups of water to baobab juice.
- Add sugar.
- Add color (optional).
- Put in the fridge to cool or you can drink it hot as tea. (If you would like to drink while hot, do not add color).
Don’t leave in the fridge for more than two days only.